Tuesday 16 December 2014

Music - Part 362 - Will Harris 2014 Top 10




mylittlebrother make superb music there’s no doubt.  They’re album If We Never Came Down is possibly one of the finest alternative pop albums you will ever hear and certainly one of the best albums of the year.

Praised by non other than ‘Mr Perfect Pop’ himself, Johnno Casson is also a big fan having mylittlebrother main man Will Harris remix his recent track Can I Luv You.

When asked for his Top 10 Will answered, “This is hard” and after returning from a trip to France declared “here is my top 10 of 2014 that could be different any other day.  There are probably dozens of other albums I've forgotten, or not mentioned, but this morning, they are my 10!” 

After submitting the choice he asked for one to be replaced with another, hiapop Blog decided not to oblige, instead here is his Top 11.


(No particular order)



Foxygen - ...And Star Power

I love Foxygen. A slightly unhealthy amount. They are, to me, the perfect mix of fun, sweet west coast pop and slightly deranged psych, and that combination is used to near perfection on this album. Probably album of the year for me.





St Vincent - St Vincent

A lot of music fans will probably be appalled when I say that I didn't really "get" St Vincent until this album. It's just so interesting, with catchy pop hooks surrounded by influences from every genre under the sun. It inspired me to listen to her earlier stuff, which I'm pleased to say I now "get". 





King Creosote - From Scotland With Love

The best voice in music, for me, and a consistently great songwriter. I haven't actually seen the film for which this is the soundtrack yet. I really should.





Metronomy - Love Letters

I wasn't sure about this album on first listen, but I stuck with it and it has become one of the albums of the year. Another interesting, sometimes surprising, mix of songs which grow with each listen.





Mogwai - Rave Tapes

It's Mogwai. Enough said.





Beck - Morning Phase

My favourite Beck album was always Sea Change, and 14 years later, he essentially released Sea Change II, and it's a beautiful heart-rending masterpiece.





Woman's Hour - Conversations

Not just because they're from Cumbria, honest. We've had the honour of appearing on the same bill as them a couple of times, and they are astonishing. It was a real delight to discover that the album lives up to the wonderful live shows. Gorgeous, smooth, electronic indie-pop.





Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Dark, intelligent, poetic and beautifully intimate. I need to be in the right mood, but when I am, this album is perfect.





alt-J - This Is All Yours

An Awesome Wave was ground-breaking, and This Is All Yours follows on from it beautifully, exploring new musical territories, but still with the unmistakable alt-J identity.




Warpaint - Warpaint

Lush, surprising and fantastic. I'm never sure how to categorise Warpaint, except to say that it is brilliant.





First Aid Kit - Stay Gold

I saw First Aid Kit on a tiny stage at Glastonbury in 2010 and was instantly smitten with their McGarrigle-esque harmonies and incredibly strong voices, and I've loved everything they've released since, and on Stay Gold this is accentuated by lush strings and a bigger overall sound. 





More on mylittlebrother here.




If you enjoyed this article please follow hiapop on Twitter here, and like on Facebook here.







No comments:

Post a Comment